Learning the difference between the various parts of speech – nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions and interjections – can be tedious and confusing for any language learner.
Nevertheless, a clear and thorough understanding of the parts of speech is a necessary step in helping to prepare your learners for future success in speaking, writing and reading English , so a major goal for you as a teacher is to get them to a point where they are able to identify and use all eight parts of speech without difficulty.
In my experience, this is something that needs constant, steady work in – and outside of – class. Rather than spending the whole lessons working on the parts of speech, intersperse activities and games to make things fun and interesting. Here is a collection of freely available materials I’ve found which you can use in your classes…
- Understanding 4 parts of speech worksheet (PDF): basic worksheet with a table and space to write example sentences
- Parts of speech diagnostic test (word): learners analyse sentences to find the correct part of speech
- Parts of speech quiz & answers (PDF): analytical examination exercises (if that’s your kind of thing!)
- Parts of speech & sentence types test (PDF): multiple choice quiz
- ‘Do You Know the Eight Parts of Speech?’ crossword (PDF): each answer is a part of speech
- Parts of speech quiz (PDF): several exercises in which learners identify the part of speech
- Parts of speech obstacle course (PDF): a funky lesson plan based on designing an obstacle course
- Parts of speech challenge (word): a quick quiz on the parts of speech
- Identifying parts of speech worksheet (PDF): a couple of multiple choice exercises
- Parts of speech review (PDF): circle the correct answer exercises
- Parts of speech worksheet using pictures (PDF): 12 words for 12 pictures
- Parts of speech: nouns, verbs & adjectives worksheet (PDF): circle the correct parts of speech
- Various exercises for parts of speech (PDF): a 10 page monster handout!
- Extensive parts of speech exercises (PDF): If you thought ten pages was a lot, this resource is a whopping 42 pages long!!
- Parts of speech practice (PDF): circle the correct parts of speech
- Parts of Speech Bingo for Kids (word): a fun activity for practicing
- Collection of verb worksheets (PDF): various activities for identifying verbs