6 great techniques for getting students to write down their homework

Homework… now there’s a tricky subject to deal with.

Just like you, no doubt, I assign homework to my students with clear goals in mind: to increase their knowledge and to improve their abilities and skills. Just like you, too, hopefully, I never assign homework for its own sake. The theory goes that learning improves when homework has a clear purpose and is associated with the skills and current topics being dealt with in class. This is all well and good… from the teacher’s perspective.

Watch it or you'll be getting page 62 for homework!As we all know, though, assigning the work is only the beginning of the process. Getting students to process the fact that they have homework to do is a big battle that we need to win if we’re to get the work done. Many students seem to take forever and a day to note down their homework assignments, if they even write them down at all. This obviously leads to students failing to grasp the relevance of the assigned work, or not understanding what their homework is.

As I mentioned, I never give homework just for the sake of it, so it can be frustrating when they don’t acknowledge what has been set. With this in mind, I started to think about the strategies that I’ve used over the years that have enabled students to write down their homework. Here are six great techniques which can help you make homework a more successful part of your teaching.

1. Dish it out first thing

For years I used to make the homework the last business of the day, thinking that if it was the last thing I wrote on the board, the better the chances it would stick in the minds of the learners. This was – and is – a very, very bad idea. At the end of classes they are already thinking about what they are doing next and this is one of the worst times to try and get them to pay attention. Instead, get students to write down their assignments early in the morning, or at the start of your evening class if that’s your teaching situation, when they are more alert and paying attention. Assigning homework early in the class session will give learners a better opportunity to fully note what they need to do.

2. Tech it up

Your learners are used to accessing information on Facebook and the like, so why not utilize what they do every day and put homework assignments online? An easily accessible online record enables both teachers and learners to check what needs to be done and, importantly, can prevent misunderstandings. Something as simple as Google docs can facilitate this.

3. Plan on a weekly basis

If you get to spend a substantial amount of time with a class during the week, why not start the week off with a list of everything students need to accomplish between Monday and Friday. If you’re lucky enough, as I am, to have a curriculum document for the learners, utilize this to focus on everything that you’re aiming to do with the learners during the week. Writing everything down – or just focusing on a weekly aims and objectives document – at the start of the week will help learners conceptualize what they should be doing and when they should be doing it.

4. Hand over some of the responsibility for sharing the message

This is really easy to do: make a member of the class responsible for dispersing the information. They could read the assigned work to the class or alternatively could be put in charge of writing instructions on the board. A good technique I’ve found is to set this role on a rotational basis so that each learner does it in turn.

5. Standardize the format for assigning work

A great way of focusing a class on the fact that they are being assigned homework is to develop a homework assignment template that you will use in every class. Get learners to use the template to make note of assignments. You can be somewhat flexible, of course: some students find it easier to fill in blanks or write in boxes rather than being required to write down whole sentences. Work on a format that everyone is comfortable with and familiarity will then lead to understanding of what’s necessary.

6. Get the student’s input on what should be done

If you’re committed to making homework a worthwhile activity, why not ask learners how they feel about homework assignments? An essential part of having learners write down and complete such work is getting them to understand what is expected of them. Involving them in the process of choosing what should constitute homework is a great way of making learners responsible for it. It will also increase their understanding of why it has value.

Something worth remembering

Sometimes the failure to note down homework is a sign of a deeper underlying issue. It can be an avoidance strategy for learners who feel out of their depth, and even an indicator of deeper psychological distress. Bear this in mind if you spot particular learners who don’t respond to any efforts to get them involved in their homework responsibilities.

OK, I’m not guaranteeing you that 100% of your assignments will get done, but these simple techniques will at least have your learners understanding that they have homework and will also help them conceptualize why they have it.

If you have any further suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Please feel free to share your techniques in the comments section below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This entry was posted in Teaching ideas, The student perspective and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to 6 great techniques for getting students to write down their homework

1. Pingback: @ozge

2. Pingback: @SSavides

3. Pingback: @oz_iceprincess

4. Pingback: @russeltarr

5. Pingback: @Mr_Groff

6. Pingback: @andreakornowski

7. Pingback: @timknowsefl

8. Pingback: @mramidon

9. Pingback: @duanekline

10. Pingback: @eltworld

11. Pingback: @vaztania

12. Pingback: TEA in Istanbul -Day 5- |

13. Pingback: @sciencelabman

14. Pingback: 6 great techniques for getting students to write down their homework « vizualbusinessbd

15. Pingback: @Nuriahys

16. Pingback: @rehabrajab

17. I find these ideas really useful, thanks. I have started a class blog and assignments are posted there weekly. Now no one can complain they didn’t know what the HW assignment was. It’s easier for me as well to keep track of what I’ve assigned. In addition, I post the entry in the Facebook group of the course to make it easier for them to remember.

• Adam says:

Thanks, Emilia. I think the notion of leveraging is really important for us as 21st century educators. If we can leverage the tools which our students use on a day-to-day basis to facilitate our aims and objectives, I think we can realize a greater level of success in our teaching.

As I said in the post and you reiterate here, by tapping into their daily practices, we can at least guarantee that they’re aware of what their responsibilities are (even if they still don’t do the work!).

18. Pingback: Adam Simpson (@yearinthelifeof)

19. RobOak says:

I really like the idea of setting homework at the beginning of the class and the idea of assigning the role of writing it on the board / dishing it out, to a student! I would love to use a blog, facebook etc – I think this is a great idea, but current students are young learners so I can’t communicate with them on-line outside of class, definitely one to keep in mind for the future though! Thanks for sharing!

• Adam says:

Thanks, Rob. Admittedly, going the tech route does have some unavoidable constraints.

I have to say that the other ‘tactics’ are real winners, though. Marking it up prominently at the start of proceedings means that you can refer to it several times during the course of proceedings, especially giving you the chance to make sure the ‘main offenders’ get the message!

• RobOak says:

Yeah it makes so much sense and seems so obvious now!! I think having been a subjected to homework being set at the end of the lesson all through school and college life this is now mine and probably everyone else’s expectation, they may think I have finally gone mad!

20. Adam says:

I know that feeling!

21. Pingback: @baibbb

22. I have also found that discussing the h.w at the beginning of the lesson is so useful.
    For my adult groups using edmodo.com has solved the whole issue of not writing, not remembering what needs to be down. Not only is it written there it is graphically represented too!
    Great post!
    Naomi

23. Pingback: @naomishema

24. Pingback: @IsilBoy

25. Pingback: @MajidAlamoudi4

26. Pingback: @malgorzatauk

27. Pingback: @ladaELT

28. Pingback: @vickihollett

29. Priya Edwin says:

The idea of announcing the assignment in the beginning of the day is a good idea. By doing this the teacher also has the chance to show the relevance between the HW and the class work that is being done at school. I use my school’s independent mail account which is facilitated by google to communicate with my students. Lately I have started ‘edmodo’ as well for the same. Since edmodo has categorised sections for assigning HW and for making and posting quizzes, it is very helpful. In my class we have this routine of HW collection (which is done by a monitor) – this has given an added accountability to students to take their work seriously and to finish their work on time. The idea of discussing the HW is really good – I would definitely try this in the class. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

30. Pingback: Adam Simpson (@yearinthelifeof)

31. Pingback: @ELT_JexenTang

32. Pingback: @sarah_SKB

33. Pingback: Adam Simpson (@yearinthelifeof)

34. Pingback: @ozge

35. Janet says:

Thanks for the helpful ideas. I currently do a weekly sheet handed out on Mondays. The only problem I have encountered is the students who do the entire weeks homework on one night and do not follow along the daily guide.

• Adam says:

Thanks, Janet. Actually, it’s those ultra keen students who can throw us sometimes! I tend to have a reserve backlog of extra stuff for students like these, on those occasions when they ask for something extra.

36. Pingback: Getting learners doing homework | efl-resource.com

37. Gary Hewgley says:

Have you tried signing up for a free account at Edmodo.com? You can set up classes and post homework there (and the students can ask questions). It’s like Facebook, but it’s for school. You can assign each class into a it’s own group. You can write down the assignments, or upload work for your students to download (like a pdf or jpg).

• Adam says:

Thanks, Gary.

I’ve dabbled with Edmodo, but implementing it into my daily practices remains one of my great projects for 2013. Your suggestions about how to proceed are very much appreciated!

38. ICAL TEFL says:

Why not add the homework assignment to a class blog? This way it’s there for all to access and there is plenty of scope for comments on the assignment!

39. Joe Kirby says:

Handy techniques. I’ve posted on this here: http://back2thewhiteboard.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/8-how-can-i-get-homework-handed-in-consistently/
    To get homework handed in consistently, make it an automatic routine. What do you think, Adam and others?

40. Pingback: Adam John Simpson » Blog Archive » Nominated for the Teaching English blog post of the month

41. Pingback: 4 Things to Promise my Students at the Start of This School Year : TEFL Bloggers

42. Pingback: The case for: 6 reasons why our language learners should get homework | Teach them English