What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos?

Don't miss any of my posts: Subscribe to Teach them English by Email!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This entry was posted in Opinion, The life of an english teacher, The student perspective, The teacher perspective and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos?

1. What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos? http://goo.gl/fb/fYCfP

2. Ann Foreman says:

Hi Adam,

Just posted a link to this on the TeachingEnglish facebook page if you’d like to check for comments.

3. Pingback: What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos? « one year | TeachingEnglish | Scoop.it

4. Pingback: What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos? « one year | technology in language teaching | Scoop.it

5. John says:

Your post makes some good points about the use of technology in our classes. I see all these applications being introduced, but I seldom see anyone discuss their experiences with the application or applications after they have used them. Some good critical evaluations of the applications with the context of the particular user defined would be helpful which is why I like your post. How did Gizem do in using the speed reading application?

By the way, I have been promoting spreeder.com for years with my students because of its simple interface.

6. Brandan Page says:

Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos is one of my faves but I have to admit you have a bit of a point, not just with his site but with the use of tech in general.

7. James OReilly says:

How to Defeat http://ow.ly/gvVpY the Lame Duck Trap of Russell Stannard’s videos http://ow.ly/gvVq0

8. Interesting post Adam. I think I am going to explore Eyercize and see how this works with large groups (I actually teach from 30 to 60 students) : I believe : 1) a demonstration in class showing how to use Eyercize; 2) Students working on their own and maybe using a chart of some sort to keep track of their speed improvement (or reading in the classroom); 3) maybe a test at the very beginning and another one at the end to compare results and keep on doing this during their four semesters. Maybe I will have to think how often they will have to sit and read on their own during the week and what they will read (should they choose their own readings online?). I had read about rauding before… the first time I came across this word/notion was when reading Assessing Reading by Anderson (2000).

• Adam says:

Thanks, Miguel.

In addition to using this as an awareness raising exercise with students, I actually used it to demonstrate to fellow teachers what reading at certain speeds really means and that often what we are expecting from students is totally unrealistic.

By the way, I’d highly recommend the title that you mention (Assessing Reading by Anderson (2000)); a really concise and clear introduction to the subject.

9. Dan Ferreira says:

I really appreciate the effort, time and professionalism that Russell puts into his instructional videos. However, I also wonder what is the research behind the use of Eyercize in the classroom. More importantly, I would like to know how to set the parameters vis a vis research suggestions, especially for EFL students. Any literature recommends would be greatly appreciated.

• Adam says:

I’m right with you on this one, Dan. Indeed, I think you’ve really caught on to the spirit of this post. While Russell Stannard does a really professional job of telling us how to use these tools, I think it would be even more beneficial if he were to go into more detail about why we should be using them. This Eyercize seemed like the perfect case in point: Why should we be looking to develop reading speed and what does it mean to be reading a a certain number of words per minute, anyway? I guess this isn’t in Stannard’s mandate and… fair play to him; the website has been a phenomenal success and, to his credit, he goes into the ‘why’ a lot more when he presents at conferences.

10. What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos? http://t.co/i84SfCiJ

11. Pingback: What’s wrong with Russell Stannard’s Teacher Training Videos? | Teach them English | David's ESOL Blog